903-509-1300 • 728 WSW Loop 323 • Tyler, TX 75701

Flood Insurance FAQ

Doesn't my homeowners insurance policy cover flooding? Return To Top

No. Flood damage is not typically covered by a homeowners insurance policy.

I live in a low-risk flood zone. Do I really need flood insurance? Return To Top

Most likely, yes. It's a good idea to buy flood insurance even if you live in a low- or moderate-risk area.

Does flood insurance cover flood damage caused by hurricanes, rivers, or tidal waters? Return To Top

Yes, providing that, if confined to your property, the flood water covers at least two acres. A general condition of flood also exists if two adjacent properties are affected, one of which is yours.

Is flood damage from wind-driven rain covered? Return To Top

No. When rain enters through a wind-damaged window or door, or comes through a hole in a wall or roof, the NFIP considers the resulting puddles and damage to be windstorm-related, not flood-related.

Flood insurance covers overflow of inland or tidal waters and unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source. However, the flood must be a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is yours). Although flood insurance specifically excludes wind and hail damage, the good news is that most homeowners insurance provides such coverage.

What is covered in my basement? Return To Top

Flood insurance covers your home's foundation elements and equipment that's necessary to support the structure (for example: furnace, water heaters, circuit breakers, etc.).

It's important to note that some items in your basement are covered under building coverage (like a furnace, hot water heater and circuit breaker) and others are covered under contents coverage that must be purchased in addition to building coverage (for example, your washer and dryer, or your freezer and the food in it).

How can I tell what caused the damage to my property? Return To Top

Flooding is defined as rising waters. Damage caused by falling water and wind is not considered flood damage.